DANDRUFF AND HAIR LOSS
Dandruff is a common condition that causes flaky, itchy, dry skin on the scalp. It does not directly cause hair loss but it makes us uncomfortable, embarrassing and can affect the health of hair. The itchy scalp condition of dandruff may lead to hair loss since severe scratching can injure hair follicles that reside in the dermal layer of the scalp. In some exceptional cases, some people will develop unusual hair loss due to dandruff, especially people with androgenic alopecia, a condition that causes male and female pattern baldness.
Dandruff is a chronic and common scalp condition. It usually occurs in the form of white flakes that often falls off on the shoulder. These flakes form a layer made of dead cells in the scalp which results in itching. This vigorous and irritating itching leads to even severe hair fall.
CAUSES OF DANDRUFF
Several conditions can be the reason for dandruff, from hair washing patterns to underlying skin problems. Washing the hair too frequently or less than needed may be the reason for developing dandruff on the scalp. Some other causes are Diet, particular illness, lack of hygiene, selection of wrong shampoo etc. Some of the underlying skin problems behind dandruff are
- Dry skin: Dry skin refers to small flakes which result in itching
- Seborrheic dermatitis: In this condition Scalp often looks red and oily. Skin flakes can be either white or yellow.
- Malassezia: This is a type of fungus that irritates the scalp and cause extra skin cells. When this sells die, that results in dandruff.
- Contact dermatitis: Sensitive reactions towards certain hair products like shampoo, dye etc will be the reasons for a red colored flaky skin. Thicolouredtion is known as contact dermatitis.
LINK BETWEEN DANDRUFF AND HAIR FALL
Dandruff doesn’t cause hair fall directly. Continuous and vigorous itching and scratching due to dandruff on the scalp will weaken the hair root and later it will fall out. According to scientific studies, 20 out of fifty women’s are suffering because of hair fall due to dandruff. Even dandruff doesn’t cause hair fall directly it will cause it indirectly. The typical type of a trauma induced by scratching and fungal secretions will cause hair fall. So it is very important to fix dandruff in order to reduce hair loss.
REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF
There are both natural and synthetic methods to treat dandruff and hence to protect hair.
- Use a medicated shampoo: First and foremost step to take is to switch your shampoo and conditioner. Use a medicated or milder shampoo instead. The medicated shampoo contains component like ketoconazole, Pyrithione, Coal tar and selenium sulfide which will reduce dandruff.
- Avoid extra oil in the scalp, which will make the condition worse
- Irritating hair products like dye, fragrances etc should be avoided. These products may contain ingredients like bleach, detergents, and formaldehyde. this will affect the sensitive skin which results in dermatitis
- If dandruff had been identified, in scalp then try to change the hair products you have used. Even they are using for years without any problem it is better to change it.
- Manage stress: mental stress won’t cause dandruff directly; it can weaken our immune system over time. This will make scalp more sensitive to naturally occurring Malassezia fungus. Hence manage mental stress using relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, controlled breathing etc.
- Make sure that your scalp getting a little bit of sunlight.
- Another important step to reduce and to prevent dandruff is to keep the scalp clean and flake-free to promote the optimal environment for hair growth
Nature provides some natural remedies to cure dandruff hence to reduce hair fall. Some of the effective and recognized nature treatments for dandruff are
- Tea tree oil: tea tree oil possesses great antiseptic properties and hence helps in combating dandruff.
- White vinegar: the acidic properties in white vinegar will be highly beneficial in treating dandruff. It makes the scalp free from fungal and bacterial growth.
- Olive oil: olive oil is the best solution for the undue dryness of scalp.
- Neem therapy: antifungal and antibacterial properties of Neem help treat dandruff.
There are also other natural remedies like Methi, Aspirin, Baking soda, Aloe Vera gel, natural soap nuts, Lemon juice, Fenugreek seeds, Thym etc. Even after these treatments if dandruff and hair fall gets worst, then immediately consult a Dermatologist to address the problem medically.